Lori is going through all the same trials & tribulations of coaching high school cross country that I went through when I first coached high school. Some kids care. Some kids sort of care. Some kids don't care. Some kids cause a bunch of problems. It's always like that. As a coach...you need infinite patience and you need to be flexible and fluid with your well thought out plans.
Lori has learned...like I did...that a coach should only care as much as the athlete cares. You can't have a coach heavily committed to a coaching relationship when the athlete being coach is only slightly committed. There has to be a balance. The coach and athlete need to have equal commitment and it's up the coach to adjust their level of commitment to the athlete's level. Not so easy.
Usually 20% of your team will be really into it...while the remaining 80% will be wishy washy. The Pareto Principle applies. I screwed this up...but what I should have done was give 80% of time to the 20% who wanted to do the sport. When I coached, I gave too much time to the 80% with only mild interest. Big mistake. It's not that they should be neglected. It's just that I needed to "care" a little less in order to create a balanced relationship.
Live and learn.
5:30PM - spur of the moment strength work while waiting for Columbo's take out:
Front squat 3x3 (95,115,115lbs)